I ran into a rather strange error today when trying to run Group Policy Modeling on a user. Instead of showing me Summary and Settings I received an error stating that The given Key was not present in the dictionary.
At first I thought that maybe we had used some Norwegian characters somewhere in a policy, but after some googling it turns out that this is caused by ticking the parent registry container when using the Registry Wizard to create a gpo registry preference.
Microsoft has published a kb article about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2692409
However the resolution they are presenting is useless for most organizations I think. Recreating all registry collections is not an option, at least it wasn’t for us.
So here’s how to do it in a less time consuming manor (but it may still take some time):
Edit any gpo you have used to set registry settings, navigate to the registry settings and look for entries looking like this:
The setting you need to delete here is TimeZoneInformation, you can spot them by the icon (the regedit icon) and by the fact that they have a blank Type.
After deleting all of this type of entries you can rerun your query and it will work as it should
Brilliant, helped me find the problem setting
Thanks for this – saved me a lot of time and heartache!
Thankyou very much for posting this, saved me a huge amount of time finding the problematic GPO setting. Solution still valid in 2019!
2020 even 🙂